Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dad knows a Barbie AND a Dolly!

Another busy day in the Hansan house. But my wonderful husband let me sleep in and he got the kids off to school today. What a great surprise to me, it is amazing what another hour of sleep will do for a person.  The day was full, I had to drive Nathan around to apply at Long-Term Care Facilities in our area. Don't get me wrong we have a lot of fun, he is such a great person. We laugh very hard when we are together, but we also learn a little bit more about inner selves....very deep, yes, very deep.

It's going to rain for the next couple of days so attitudes in our house were a bit on edge. Not that we were scrapping one another. But we were snapping, the tongue can be a very wicked tool. Luckily the end of the day we had our last and best laugh. Side note: I am so out of shape I have very bad ab muscles. So when I laugh really hard it hurts my stomach because I am so out of shape. But tonight I didn't care, I really needed to laugh and let off some steam that way. I do prefer to laugh, do you?

We were sitting at the kitchen table, Mike, myself, Joe, and Sarah-Kate. I was looking at Mike's phone and saw that a "Barbie" called him. I said, "You know a Barbie?". I mean really, who wants to be named after a plastic, synthetic hair, and painted on face doll? Stop, Stop, Stop, I forgot I live in Johnson County Kansas, my bad. Let me just give you the dialog of our conversation:

Scene - Mike and I are in the pink car headed to Radio Shack to buy a fuse for the new big TV.


Me: "Kids we need your opinion on this, Dad and I were finally alone in the car.."
Joe: "Stop right there!! That is all we need to hear!!"
Me: "That is not what I mean Joe, we were coming home from the store, DUH!"
**Everyone is laughing now
Me: "No seriously, you all know that Dad and I never get time alone. We finally have it and guess who calls?"
Everyone: "KEVIN!"
Me: "Yep, and Dad stayed on the phone for over half the time we were together in the car!"
Sarah-Kate: "Dad, don't do that. Mom wants all of your attention."
Mike: "Oh, I KNOW!"
**I go through Mike's phone at the kitchen table:
Me: "You know a girl named Barbie?"
Sarah-Kate: "I KNOW!!!, and he knows a Dolly too!"
Mike: he turns to look at me, "And she knows a Madison."
Immediately I get it...Dolly Madison..snacks
**I'm  laughing hysterically,  I can't take a  breath, and  I am coughing. My abs hurt because I am out of shape. Joe and Sarah-Kate are laughing but they don't know why. Mostly because Daddy and I are laughing.
Sarah-Kate: "I hate you all!" Then gets up from the table and googles Dolly Madison.
Joe: Joe whispers, "Mom, who is Dolly Madison?"
Me: "Well, you know Little Debbie, right?
Joe: "No, who is she?"
Sarah-Kate: "Dolly Madison was the wife of our fourth President, James Madison."
**She was right, but really?What do you say to that???
Mike: "You know them, they live down on that street called Hostess Lane."
Sarah-Kate & Joe: "Where is that?"
****Mike and I are now crying we are laughing so hard. Plus the two kids are getting really mad, which is just an add bonus for us.
Me: "I can't take it anymore, I have to tell them. They are snack cakes"
Sarah-Kate: "I hate you all!! You all wonder why I am so messed up in the head! Because of parents like you!!"
Me: "Well the least you can do is say Thank You."

Just one of many of my crazy family stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment